lunedì 28 settembre 2009

Apple: è ancora bloatware

clipped from blogs.zdnet.com

Apple up to its old tricks, pushing unwanted software onto PCs

So imagine my surprise when I started Windows 7 (via Boot Camp) on my Mac this morning and was greeted with this surprising dialog box:

Under the Updates heading, Apple says I need the iPhone Configuration Utility. Oh really? Why, for heaven’s sake? I’ve never plugged an iPhone (or an iPod or any other Apple-branded hardware) into this computer. I have absolutely no need for this program. It will do nothing except take up disk space and memory and potentially represent a vector for security issues.

And yet Apple is telling me, for some reason, that I need to install this “update.”

They’ve also conveniently selected some additional software for me in the form of QuickTime and iTunes, which is 137.5 MB of compressed installers that expands to well over 200MB of disk space when installed. If I click the Install button, all of a sudden I have a pile of software I don’t want or need, including the Bonjour network service.

"Bloatware", cioè software obeso, grosso fino all'impossibile, e per di più rifilato all'utente senza necessità (e spesso senza preavviso).

Immaginate la mia sorpresa quando ho avviato Windows 7 (via Boot Camp) sul mio Mac stamattina e mi è uscita questa sorprendente dialog box... la Apple dice che io avrei bisogno della iPhone Configuration Utility.

Ma davvero? e perché, visto che non ho mai agganciato un iPhone o iPod o altro hardware su questo computer?

Per di più questo malloppo di 137,5 mega di update Quicktime+iTunes (che diventeranno più di 200 mega installati). iTunes ingrassa del 25% all'anno...

La Apple ha un sistema di aggiornamenti veramente vergognoso, ed ha ancora molto da imparare dalla Microsoft.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento